Thursday, March 12, 2015

Where Is Your Plane Going?

Well guys, we're back and kicking it over here at Link Year. This week we had an incredible speaker, David Marvin, from Watermark church in Dallas, come and speak to us. David talked to us about a lot of different things. Tuesday he talked to us about whether or not the Bible can be trusted and why we should believe it. Wednesday we talked about Science vs. Christianity and touched on the Big Bang Theory and Evolution (personally my favorite topics). And Today we touched on if Christianity really was the only way and if Christianity mattered. I want to share with yall a little about what I learned from today's lesson and something that David said that really stuck out to me.

First though, I want to share a story.

A few months ago my friend Miklyla and I flew down to Texas to see a concert. Miklyla is from Arkansas and I go to school in Missouri so we obviously took two separate planes. Anyway, we made it to Waco and saw some of our favorite bands play and it was really a great weekend. We hit up some Torchy's Tacos and had some coffee at Common Grounds then both went to the airport Sunday afternoon around 6ish to head on our way back to our homes. It was Miklyla's boyfriends 20th birthday the next day and she had so much planned out for it. I really don't think I've ever seen anyone so excited. Thankfully both of our plane gates were right next to each other, so we sat for a while and talked and watched some netflix. My flight left at 8 and her's left at 7:40. We were stupid and had our headphones in watching some Greys Anatomy and both were not looking at the time because it was the season finale of season 8 and if you watch Greys Anatomy then you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, we heard it at the last second, they were calling for the last passengers for Miklyla's plane and shutting the gate. As you can imagine, she flipped out. We crammed her computer in her bag and she ran as fast as she could towards her plane. As she was running towards the gate, I realized something, she was running towards the wrong one. I looked down at my watch, it was still just 7:10, her plane wasn't even here yet. The gate she was running towards would take her to San Diego, California. I'm assuming it was the flight attendants first day or something, because she was so panicked by Miklyla's running that she didn't even stop to look at her ticket, she just opened the gate and let her in. Like, what the heck? Who hires these people? I freaked and yelled her name across the airport just in time before the lady closed the door again.
"Miklyla!" she stopped and turned around looking pretty rushed and scared she wasn't going to make it for her boyfriends birthday.
"I'll miss ya! Have a great trip!" I told her. I didn't want to tell her she was getting on the wrong plane, that would make her stressed, it might be awkward, I don't know.  She smiled and waved and made her way onto the airport to California, not Arkansas.

Is that bad? Is that unloving that I did that? Well no. Because that's not actually a real story. But if it was? Would it be loving to yell at her and tell her she's on the wrong one? Or wait for her to figure it out when she got to California, far away from Arkansas? That's an example that Marvin gave today during class.

Everyone. Everyone. Is going to live forever somewhere. Either Heaven or Hell. If you see someone getting on the wrong plane, tell them. Love them enough to tell them. Or, if they're not a believer, love them enough to tell them how to get there. Yeah, sometimes those conversations can be awkward, they might ruin a friendship, they might make you look like an idiot even. But what if they don't know the Gospel? What if they've never heard it? They're getting on a plane right now that's going to lead them to some place they never expected. The least. The very least you can do is love them enough to tell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment